Saturday, October 12, 2013

Tips for Straightening Your Hair

  1. Lets start with the obvious. Don't use curl enhancing products! I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but people have told me they have a hard time getting their hair to stay straight & then they tell me they use mousse or some other curl enhancing product! Yes, curl enhancing products will make it harder for you to get your hair to go straight. Who knew? ;)
  2. Use a straightening balm. Straightening balms changed my life. It takes a little practice to figure out how to use them without getting your hair tangled, but they really help so much. I apply my leave-in conditioner, then I apply my straightening balm, then I seal it with a smoothing milk. Straightening balm helps shorten dry time and help your hair dry straighter and stay straight longer. My favorite is the Garnier Fructis Straightening Balm.
    $3.47 at Walmart
  3. Divide your hair into layers, spray heat protectant on each layer, then brush with a paddle brush and straighten immediately before moving to the next layer. This allows you to minimize waves, kinks, curls, etc.  When your hair is damp for a short period of time, brushing it will help make it straighter without it getting wavy again. Heat protectant will obviously protect your hair from heat. My 2 favorite heat protectants are by Garnier Fructis and Tresemme.
    Garnier Fructis: $3.47 at Walmart
    Tresemme: $3.99 at Walgreens
  4. Use a good flat iron. Stay away from the Remington Wet 2 Straight (for damage purposes) and Conair flat irons (unless you have found one you absolutely love); I have yet to find a Conair flat iron I actually like, which is strange because their blow dryers and curling irons are great. I love Chi flat irons and the Remington Pearl. Take the time to research flat irons before purchasing one.
    Chi: $50.00-$120.00 at Target
    Remington: $32.50 at Walgreens
  5. Tourmaline, Titanium, and Ceramic are your best friends, Plastic and Aluminum are not! Plastic and Aluminum contribute to the positive ions on your hair. Positive ions will make your hair dry, damaged, and frizzy. Therefore, it would only be common sense to use an element that cancel out the positive ions with negative ions. Those elements are Tourmaline, Titanium, and Ceramic. (I did my research, can you tell?) Purchasing a Tourmaline, Titanium, or Ceramic flat iron would definitely be an investment, as it would minimize damage, dryness, and frizz. 
  6. Know your plate size. If your hair is longer than your shoulders, a 2" plate would be best for your hair. If your hair goes to your shoulders or shorter, use a 1" plate. 2" reduce the amount of times you have to run your flat iron over your hair before it is straight, which will result in less damage.
  7. Blow your hair dry. I recommend only doing this if you have an extra hard time getting your hair to go straight. If blowing it dry still isn't enough, use a round brush. Blow your hair dry, then touch up with a flat iron. This step is very hard on your hair and will result excessive damage, so only do it if you have to. Remember to use cool air for best results (less frizz, results last longer, etc.). 

No comments:

Post a Comment