Tuesday, November 19, 2013

My Biotin Experience {Cycle 1}

About 2 years ago, I started experiencing some hair problems; my hair got very brittle, it fell out in large amounts, it was very dry, etc. I initially thought it was something to do with my Thyroid (I have a very strong family history with Thyroid problems- 2 of my aunts have had Thyroid Cancer, 1 of my aunts has Hashimoto's, and 2 more of my aunts have Graves' Disease), so I got my Thyroid checked & all of my tests showed no signs of Thyroid problems.
I then decided to start taking Biotin to try to improve the quality of my hair. For those of you who don't know, Biotin is a dietary supplement that supports skin, hair, and nails. I've heard that people have good experiences with Biotin, but I've also heard that some people didn't really notice a difference. 
Just in case any of you were considering taking Biotin, I decided I would record my experience with it as I go. I'm doing it in cycles (to keep me from turning into a "werewolf")- I started taking one 1,000mcg daily for the first week, the second week I took two 1,000mcg daily, and the third week I was back to one 1,000mcg daily. I then took a week off, which is where I am now. I have just finished the first cycle.
My cycles will each be two weeks longer than the cycle before and I will add/take away one pill a week.
Cycle 1: 3 weeks long- 1 pill, 2 pills, 1 pill
*1 week off*
Cycle 2: 5 weeks long- 1 pill, 2 pills, 3 pills, 2 pills, 1 pill
*1 week off*
Cycle 3: 7 weeks long- 1 pill, 2 pills, 3 pills, 4 pills, 3 pills, 2 pills, 1 pill
*1 week off*
Cycle 4: 9 weeks long- 1 pill, 2 pills, 3 pills, 4 pills, 5 pills, 4 pills, 3 pills, 2 pills, 1 pill
*1 week off*
Cycle 5: 7 weeks long- 1 pill, 2 pills, 3 pills, 4 pills, 3 pills, 2 pills, 1 pill
*1 week off*
Cycle 6: 5 weeks long- 1 pill, 2 pills, 3 pills, 2 pills, 1 pill
*1 week off*
Cycle 7: 3 weeks long- 1 pill, 2 pills, 1 pill
Does that make sense? & the most I ever take a day will be five 1,000mcg, which is the recommended dose.
I'm only going to take Biotin until about April 2014 because I don't want to be super hairy in the summer! haha

So far, I have noticed that my hair is MUCH softer than it normally is! It is always so smooth and soft! As far as growth goes, I know it's making my hair grow faster because I can tell when I look at my eyebrows; I have never seen my eyebrows grow back so quickly after I pluck them. I find myself plucking my eyebrows everyday because they seriously grow back that fast! Let's just say that if it was summer I would have to shave every day....luckily it's not & I can get away with not shaving too often! Those are really the only thing I've noticed so far. I know that the longer I take it and the more I take, the more of a difference I will be able to see. 
So basically if you have a No Shave November competition going on, try taking some Biotin! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment